Scarlatti DAC uses state-of-the-art technology from dCS including the dCS Ring DAC™, Digital Processing Platform and Clocking System so that, as the hub of a digital audio system, an array of features guarantee amazing performance from any digital source.
The unique design of the legendary dCS Ring DAC™ combines exceptional linearity with very high speed operation enabling it to deliver true 24 bit performance even at low signal levels. The powerful digital processing platform of Scarlatti DAC is based around Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) chips, Digital Signal Processing (DSP) chips and a microcontroller system. All of these use code developed and maintained in the UK by dCS.
The optimised DSP filters available to Scarlatti DAC will ensure you can extract every last nuance of musical detail by tuning the system to suit your personal preference.
Scarlatti DAC features standard AES3, SPDIF and SDIF-2 inputs in addition to the recently enhanced Dual AES or IEEE 1394 interface for DSD. The digital volume control allows direct connection to a power amplifier; there is no need for a preamplifier. Maximum output can be either two or six volts to suit different amplifier and speaker combinations.
The unit can be used in Master mode to provide a clock for the source or be locked to an external Word Clock signal generated by a dCS Master Clock – this produces a substantial performance improvement.
dCS were pioneers in the use of external clocks in digital audio systems and the multi- stage Phase-Locked-Loop (PLL) system used in Scarlatti DAC sets reference standards for accuracy and control of troublesome jitter from the incoming audio stream.
To realise the very best performance, Scarlatti DAC should be used with the matching Scarlatti Upsampler, Scarlatti CD/ SACD Transport and Scarlatti Master Clock. Alternatively Scarlatti DAC can be used with any industry standard CD Transport, digital streamer or music server.
All of the Scarlatti products benefit from our ‘soft’ approach to programmable logic that allows new software to be loaded from a dCS update disc to add new features and adapt to changes in digital formats.
- Flexible output configuration can be optimised in systems with and without pre-amplifiers.
- All dCS products use a sophisticated multi-mode Phase-Locked-Loop (PLL), which significantly reduces clock jitter.
- Improved power supplies give lower running temperature and increased tolerance to AC supply variations.
- Aerospace grade aluminum chassis and laminated acoustic damping panels, reduce magnetic effects and vibration.
- The Scarlatti range features a low- power LCD display that makes the user interface easier to read, keeps the power requirements down and minimises electrical noise.
- Features separate power circuits for the digital and analogue sections to further enhance the power supply cleanness.
- All of the Scarlatti products benefit from our ‘soft’ approach to programmable logic that allows new software to be loaded from a dCS update CD to add new features and adapt to changes in digital formats.